Gastroesophageal reflux disease can be found in all genders and ages, often with a burning sensation in the middle of the chest or belching. or have chest pain The disease can interfere with daily life. or spoil personality But if left untreated, it can lead to serious consequences, leading to esophageal cancer and death . Because there may be complications from using the wrong drug.
Dr. Anupong Tangaroonsanti A specialist in gastroenterology at Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital stated that “ Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease ” is a condition in which stomach acid or gastric juice flows back up into the esophagus. This results in heartburn or sour belching. as well as coughing or chest pain in some cases which can be found in all genders and ages Including it can happen at any time.
In case of mild symptoms or frequent recurrences gastroesophageal reflux disease May just cause annoyance and interfere with daily life. But if it is neglected until it becomes a chronic patient May result in complications In particular, chronic inflammation of the esophagus leads to changes in the lining of the esophagus (Barrett’s esophagus), which ultimately increases the risk of esophageal cancer.
Causes of acid reflux
- Abnormalities of the lower esophageal sphincter It often happens to the elderly. in which the esophageal sphincter begins to deteriorate Gastric juices and food in the stomach flow back up into the esophagus, causing heartburn. which are easily triggered by taking certain drugs drinking alcohol and smoking
- Esophageal peristalsis disorders As a result, the esophagus squeezes less gastric UFABET juice that backs up. This causes gastric juices to remain in the esophagus for longer.
- The stomach squeezes less and less until the digested food can not be completely absorbed into the intestines. Food stays in the stomach for a long time. The pressure in the stomach pushes the sphincter open. Food and gastric juice then go back up into the esophagus.
- Other triggers
– Cigarette Smoking causes the stomach to release more acid. Including the stomach squeezes less As a result, gastric juice and food flow back up into the esophagus.
– Stress also results in the stomach secreting too much acid. Until it is a factor that triggers acid reflux disease.
– Eating certain foods and beverages. As a result, the esophageal sphincter relaxes. Especially high fat foods, caffeine, alcohol and peppermint
. The sphincter can cause irritation.
– Taking certain drugs. May encourage acid reflux The side effects of the drug will affect each person differently. If in doubt, consult a doctor. Do not stop taking the drug or buy the drug to eat by yourself.
– Obesity because obese people have more abdominal pressure than normal people. cause increased pressure in the stomach This is an increased risk factor for GERD.
– Pregnancy. When the pregnancy grows, the pressure in the stomach increases as well. Pregnant mothers are at increased risk of acid reflux.
How to check for acid reflux yourself
You can check the symptoms of acid reflux by yourself as follows:
- Notice the burning sensation in the chest and epigastric region. Sometimes the pain may radiate to the throat. as if there is a lump, difficulty swallowing, sore throat, nausea, frequent belching, and gastric juices reflux until it feels bitter in the throat
- Colic, stomach distension, like indigestion may have bad breath or sensitive teeth
- After eating, bloating, nausea, vomiting, or dry cough often occur.
- hoarseness in the morning or chronic hoarseness This may be caused by acid reflux causing laryngitis.
- Choking on saliva or choking on while sleeping